Tuesday, April 05, 2005

eureka! and yet not...

Okay, so I not only finished knitting up the body of the cami last night, but also started the neck shaping - though I use the word "started" very loosely. I placed the markers as called for in the pattern - K43 sts, place marker, K85 sts, place marker, K43 sts. Except the instructions call for knitting 172 stitches total, when there are actually only 170 on the needles. Which stumped me. I did some weird combination of 43 and 42 stitches, alternating the two. But apparently what I want is for the front and the back to be symmetrical on either side of the V-neck. Which is logical, right? But at 3:30am, I'm not known for being my brightest. So I'll just have to re-position the stitch markers so that there are 42 stitches on either side of the V in the front, and 43 stitches on either side of the V in the back - symmetry :o)

I know I've been talking about how intimidating I've found some of the techniques - first decreasing, then increasing... And done quite well when it came down to actually knitting the damn thing. However, knitting on double points really is intimidating to me. I've literally never done it before, and I'm nervous about messing up royally. Not to mention, I don't even own a pair of US6 double pointed needles.

So for today, my goal is to slowly and carefully read and re-read the instructions, and try to teach myself the art of working on the 2-points. Maybe by the time I'm ready to turn theory into practice, I'll actually have a set of needles to work with. At least I have managed to get my hands on a copy of the Vogue book of knitting techniques to help me out...

Back to work. Y'know, work really gets in the way of the whole knitting thing :oP

No comments: