Sunday, April 03, 2005

disaster - almost

Okay, so I suppose I'm being a tad melodramatic, but not too much - considering I almost lost a big chunk of my knitting. A dozen stitches slipped off the right needle, sending my heart plummetting to the floor. Luckily, I managed to grab a stitch holder (though it ended up being pretty useless - read on) and salvage those stitches. So I won't have to rip out any stitches or even re-knit any stitches. Whew!

I did discover that my stitch holders are way too big for this project. I should have thought of it earlier. I've mostly used larger needles (sizes US9 through US11, mostly, but on up to US17) on my projects to date, so I didn't realize I would need smaller stitch holders for this project, which is being knit on US7s. I might have time to pick some up tomorrow at my LYS (local yarn store for the uninitiated)... Problem is, most any trip to the yarn store ends up being a marathon yarn lust event. I will literally spend an hour (sometimes longer) browsing and fondling and drooling, and then walk out empty-handed due to indecisiveness. Which, I'm fairly certain, must piss off whoever my shopping companion of the day is, not to mention the store owner... Maybe for once I can control myself, and focus only on the notions rack, ignoring the shelves overflowing with beautiful, vibrant, silky-soft skeins and hanks of yarn...

Okay, I am getting ridiculously excited by my yarn fantasies, so I think it may be time to return to my knitting... I'm coming up on an increase round, which is fantastic, as knitting stockinette can get painfully tedious. In fact, I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to knitting scarves after tackling this more complicated project.

No comments: