Sunday, December 30, 2007

Vacation yarn store purchases

Family drama/wedding drama aside, this vacation has been... Well, it's been.

At the moment, the family is gathered (in separate beach houses, fancy fancy!) on a resort island right outside Charleston, SC. The kiddies - cousins of my generation, who aren't really kids at all, as most of them are now in their 20s - are in the house by the creek populated by crocodiles. The grown-ups are in a larger, fancier house by the beach; we convene there for meals, served in shifts. I hope to take a walk along the beach there tomorrow; there is supposed to be a stretch of beach where one can see dolphins frolicking in the water.

On Thursday, my parents, my sister, and I managed to spend a few precious hours in Savannah, GA. I convinced them to accompany me to the LYS there, a place called Wild Fibres, right in/near the historic district. (Well, more like put up with my browsing whilst they waited... Details, details!) I was very restrained, leaving the store with just a few essentials: a pair of skinny stitch holders, a set of size 6 double point needles (in a nifty leather case - I already have a set, but I seem to need this size quite a bit for various projects, whether mittens, fingerless gloves, or hats, so another set seemed like a wise investment), and a new pattern to hunt down (a cute little baby dress that can be found in a Debbie Bliss book). That last item will come in handy, as I have yet another reason to knit - my cousin's itty bitty baby!

Baby A is about 5 months old, but is still rather tiny because she arrived 6 weeks ahead of schedule. She is the most precious baby in the world, I'm convinced of it! She is a very happy baby, who gurgles in the cutest way imaginable whenever anyone in the vicinity pays even the smallest bit of attention to her - and of course, no one can escape the irresistible pull of her cuteness, so she gets quite a bit of attention!

Today, despite a bunch of family drama, I managed to spend about 10, maybe 15 minutes in a yarn store in Charleston called, quite simply, Knit (on Wentworth, right in the historic downtown area). The store itself is located in a bright pink building, occupying a series of small, interconnected rooms. The yarn selection itself is comprised mainly of the usual, but much of the selection includes a bunch of my favorites - and quite a few that I don't usually encounter at my own LYS (stores, plural).

I was lucky enough that (a) I entered the sale room first; (b) my sister was there to comb through the sale merchandise (she's much better at that than I am); and (c) we (she) discovered purse handles on sale for 2 bucks a pair/apiece (depending on the length)! They aren't the fine leather purse handles I've been drooling over ever since the Knitter's Review review came out, but they'll do... And at that price, they are perfect! So I purchased a black pair of 13" handles (chocolate brown would've been ideal, but the only other pairs available were purple), and a pair of longer orange "alligator" handles, which I'm sure I'll find a use for one day.

My sister also helped me pick out a couple of potential buttons for the Brea bag closure. They were pricey (at $4 for one and $5 for the other), but they are beautiful... And then my impulse buy, a notions bag in kelly green with a bright pink zipper, emblazoned with a matching bright pink Knit store logo. I am quite pleased.

And now, I get to go back to finishing up a fingerless glove for the first Stash Club project... :o)

No comments: