Friday, December 14, 2007

Auntie Soo's Angora Cabled Scarf: Project Notes



Note:
The pattern for Auntie Soo's Angora Cabled Scarf can be found here. Project notes (my thoughts on designing and knitting this project, and on working with this particular yarn) can be found in this entry.

When I first petted the angora-blend yarn, I was struck by two things. (1) I marveled at the light-as-air, lofty nature of the yarn. (2) I was disappointed by the not-very-luxurious, nylon-y feel of the yarn. Having committed to this yarn the moment I clicked on the buy button on eBay, I set out to cast on.

I played around a bit before deciding on this particular rib-and-cable pattern. The trio of 6-stitch cables seemed to balance nicely with the side borders of 3x2 rib. The wrong side (the private side, according to Maggie Righetti of Knitting in Plain English renown) is a slightly messed up looking rib, as the reverse side of a cable-knit item usually does.

I decided I wanted a deep border of ribbing at either end of the scarf, approximately 3 inches on each end, to balance out the cabling.

I had toyed with the idea of making two panels of cables, with plain rib panels on either end and in the middle of the scarf, but as I begin knitting the cables, I decided it would be best to continue the cables throughout the scarf with just the two deep borders of plain ribbing at both ends.

I started with two balls of the Louisa Harding yarn, but ran out and had to order a third ball of the yarn from the same vendor. I ended up using most of that third ball to finish the scarf.

Upon finishing the scarf, I was amazed by the lightness and loft of the finished scarf. I am certain the fuzzy angora will be soft on the wearer's skin, and hope the scarf will keep her warm throughout the winter. And I hope Auntie Soo likes her (belated) birthday gift... It was definitely knitted with loving care! :o)

1 comment:

Soo-Hoon Yeo said...

Hi Jooney, I just happen to spot your lovely scarf and the name Auntie Soo bring back so much fond memories of my church sunday school children, who addressed me by "Auntie Soo".
My name is Soo-Hoon, and everyone calls me Soo. I would like to try out this scarf with knitpicks aloft superkind mohair 500yd in stash which I think may not be sufficient.
Also I am following your instructions on textured shawl. Thanks for such a lovely design.