Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My eco-friendly FO

Well, I assume it's eco-friendly. There's the whole debate about how much it costs to produce these so-called eco-friendly products and the like, but I choose to believe that: (a) Kollage Yarns Hope organic cotton yarn really is eco-friendly, and (b) I will be making an enormous impact on the environment (in a positive way, of course) by carrying my hand knitted, itty bitty market bag to the market. Where I will only be able to fit narrow and/or small fruits and vegetables, like bananas, asparagus, plums, and possibly the smaller varieties of apples, through the minuscule opening.

I exaggerate, but only a little. The circumference of the opening is probably about 12 inches, which translates to a diameter of a little under 4 inches. Give or take. The rest of the bag is nice and stretchy. The attached i-cord opening, not so much. Fan-bloody-tastic.

I realized this as I was attaching the first i-cord. The opening of the bag seemed to be shrinking by the picked-up stitch. Did I stop? Oh no. I kept going. I had stopped, frogged, and re-started this darn bag so many times that by the time Day 3 of the adventure came around, I was not about to stop. For anything short of major disaster. Like accidentally dropping every single one of the 66 stitches off my circulars. Something like that might have stopped me. Possibly.

So I can only fit small items (like balls of yarn) in my market bag. Big deal. Maybe this'll encourage me to spend less cash on non-essentials. Like jugs of milk and boxes of cereal and the like. (Says the girl who just spent 50 bucks on makeup she will never wear, because there's a HUGE sale going on at E.L.F. - everything's a buck, people, can't pass up a good deal!)

The point is, folks, it's DONE! The Elisa's Nest Tote has officially transitioned - from frog pond to UFO and back - and is now officially an FO. An eco-friendly FO, no less! It's time to go celebrate. With the Scooby snack pouches I had to take out of the box and place in my market bag one at a time in order to get 'em to fit.

No comments: