Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Mother's Day (Not-So-)Secret Gift

My mother is always asking me about various WIPs that are intended for her. Like the Blaze sweater that's been snoozing for, well, years. Or the chunky vest that's been snoozing since the weather started to warm up.

So when I came up with the idea of knitting Eunny Jang's Print o' the Waves stole for this year's Mother's Day gift, I decided to keep it a secret, just in case. Just in case I wasn't able to finish it in time. Just in case it turned into another snoozer. Just in case my dearest, darlingest mother felt like nagging me again about my knitting and knitting and knitting... And not finishing.

I did pretty well keeping the secret under wraps, nearly all the way through the 17th repeat of Chart A (also the halfway point). And then my mom walked up to the open doorway of my room and asked what I was working on. I stammered a brief reply and made her promise to forget she'd seen the WIP that is her intended Mother's Day gift.

On the bright side, I now have more flexibility as to when and where I work on the stole. On the less bright side, there's a whole lot of pressure now to finish the project in the next 13 days, because if I don't... There will be questions. Many, many questions. Chop chop, better get to it!

1 comment:

Sungopolis said...

Lessee some pictures!! Or does your mom read your blog.

Anyway, are you psyched for Sheep and Wool? I can hardly wait.