Friday, June 03, 2011

Vitamin D yay! Primo not so yay

I just finished knitting and blocking my Vitamin D cardi. It's lovely. The pattern is fun, and the yarn, the Plucky Knitter's Primo fingering-weight, is a good match for the project.

BUT - this has been yet another instance in which the Primo skeins have come up short. According to my (pretty accurate) scale, 288 grams went into my VitaminD cardi (including all the loose ends that were woven in and snipped off), and a single gram remained, which means a total of 289 grams of yarn in three skeins, NOT the 303 grams listed on Ravelry.

If we were talking a gram or few, I wouldn't gripe. Grumble, yes, but not gripe. But - we're talking a discrepancy of 14 grams over the three skeins, which is pretty significant. And if it weren't the third time I'd run across the light skein issue with the Primo, I wouldn't be so bothered. And yes, for those of you who have asked, I did contact the dyer after the second incident. She did acknowledge my reporting the issue and promise to investigate and get back to me, but I haven't heard back since. I'll do my due diligence and fill her in on the latest, but I'd rather set my expectations low than risk being disappointed by the response.

Sad. Because otherwise, I really love the yarn itself; it feels nice, knits up nicely, and gives a good fabric.

Edited to add: That the talented, wonderful lady behind the lovely Plucky Knitter yarns contacted me to let me know that she and her supplier cleared up any confusion about the yarn mass/yardage issue. Thank you so very much, Sarah - you clearly care a great deal about your craft and your "fans."

No comments: