Sunday, May 01, 2011

A family-centric birthday + lessons learned

Reverse order; let's start with the lessons learned.

During the six months of the knit-down-along, which officially ended with the month of April, I have (re)learned...
...that I can't help myself - I am a compulsive stasher, and
...that if it isn't yarn, it's likely to be something else.
...that I am generally easily enabled, but
...that my ability to resist temptation might be stronger than I had realized.
...that I am a very competitive person, and
...that knitting as part of a competitive endeavor - no matter how friendly - is not exactly pleasurable knitting; "I have to do it" knitting is more chore than fun.
...that the self-congratulatory feeling of proud accomplishment at having knitted out so many yards is temporary and fleeting,
...that I only really enjoyed the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the knitting, and
...that ultimately, I am left with a sadly-depleted stash.

Overall, I just feel great relief that the knit-down is OVER! I am now free to put my disposable income where it belongs - in my yarn stash *wink* In all seriousness, I like knowing that I have the option of (mostly) guilt-free stash enhancement, now that the KDAL is over. But I also am aware that I don't have to have every skein of yarn that catches my eye, and that I am indeed capable of resisting temptation.

As for my birthday... What a great birthday weekend so far! I got to spend Friday evening with my beloved family, first going to a concert at the Kennedy Center with my parents, sister, and husband (National Symphony Orchestra + Sarah Chang, violinist), and then indulging in a late-night supper in the lounge at Eventide. In pictures...

G: "Why are my best photos the ones where I'm not looking at the camera?"

Sisters, standing.

G with his favorite sister-in-law

"That's a lot of Dewar's!"

Good to the last drop

Funny face

Sepia experiment 2

Post-concert






Dinner + drinks @ eventide

No comments: